8.12.2009

Lord, what was I thinking?!

In my no-so-infinite wisdom, I thought it would be a great idea to have Blaze neutered and Diamond spayed at the same time. We did it two days ago, on Monday. At this point, let me say that I AM glad that it is done. Once they are all healed and stitches removed, they can romp and play at Doggy Daycare and the off-leash park with abandon. Unfortunately for me, my little dream of show dogs is gone. I've resolved it with the fact that it is more important they they be happy puppies. Going to Doggy Daycare and interacting with other dogs makes them happy. I just don't think being a part of a dog show would have even stacked up!

On the other hand, I had expected that Diamond would have issues. She is such a rambunctious puppy, I thought that keeping her quiet would be as big a challenge as keeping her from chewing at her stitches. Blaze, on the other hand, would surely be a piece of cake.

NOT!

Diamond has been a breeze. No chewing. No whining. Quick healing. Sleeps most of the day.

Blaze. OMG! We've had to put a cone on him because of all of his frantic chewing at stitches, which he dearly hates. He wants to jump, but (of course) he can't. We have stairs...lots of them. Even taking them outside requires carrying them up and down stairs. Blaze, at nearly 25 pounds, is quite the handful (armful!). We have them crated at night. Blaze can't get comfortable with the cone on night. I got three hours of sleep the first night before giving up and staying up at 3 a.m. Last night was almost as bad...to bed at midnight, up at 3:30, and then up for good at 5 a.m. This morning, I was able to leave his cone off for a few hours while he slept (all 25 pounds of him) in my lap.

Diamond came up and joined him...nothing better than 40+ pounds of puppies sleeping in your lap at 5:30 in the morning.

I hope they feel better soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment